Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Second Sunday of Triodion - The Prodigal Son

Icon of the Parable of the Prodigal Son (Icon courtesy of www.eikonografos.com used with permission)

"[The Parable of the Prodigal Son] has been called, and justly so, the Gospel of the Gospels, and it was a wise man who said that even if the Gospels were to be lost, and only the parable of the prodigal son were to remain, that alone would suffice to reveal God's infinite love for man." 
Fr. Antonopoulos, Return: Repentance and confession, Return to God and to His Church

Doxastikon of the Praises from the Sunday of the Prodigal Son - Tone 6.
Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit
Loving Father, I have gone far from you, but do not forsake me, nor declare me unfitted for your Kingdom. The all-evil enemy has stripped me naked and taken all my wealth. I have squandered like the Profligate the graces given to my soul. But now I have arisen and returned, and I cry aloud to you, ‘Make me as one of your hired servants, you who for my sake stretched out your spotless hands on the Cross, to snatch me from the fearsome beast and to clothe me once again in the first robe, for you alone art full of mercy.
(http://www.anastasis.org.uk/ProdigalE.htm)


Beautiful Orthodox icon of the Parable of the Prodigal Son. The repenting son is depicted among the swine to the bottom right, and Christ is shown as the Merciful Father, Who descended from His Throne in Heaven, coming to earth to save the Prodigal, along with all of repenting Mankind (http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-03/1301425417_icons-036.jpg)

Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

No comments: