Wednesday, February 18, 2015

An Encomium to the Theotokos, by St. Philothei of Athens

The Most-holy Theotokos "The Hope of the Faithful", holding Christ (Source)
  
The following is an encomium, written by St. Philothei of Athens in her childhood years to the Most-Holy Theotokos. It was uncovered by Professor Nikolos Vehs, in a manuscript of the Monastery of the Mega Spileon, Kalavryta, and published in an article in 1923:
 
O my All-pure Virgin, and my eternal spring,
The preaching of the Prophets, and the Mother of the Venerable,
You were the sermon preached by the Prophets,
You are the unburnt Bush, you are the holy Mountain,
You are the Ark, O sanctified Lady,
And you are the palace, the home of the King,
Where God made His home, and put on flesh,
He Who accepted the Cross for my sins.
 
I entreat you to tell Him to forgive me,
For all the many evils that I have done, and I stand in sadness.
 
Become, my Lady, an Intercessor, that you might deliver me,
As you have become for many an Intercessor who comes close to them.
 
You are, my Virgin, she who was spoken of by the Prophets,
Rejoice, O heavenly vine, and ladder of Paradise,
And rejoice, O unquenchable light, the Rod of Aaron,
The consul of salvation, you are the joy of the Righteous,
The hope of sinners and the boast of the Angels,
And I hope in you, that you will entreat for me.
 
(amateur translation of text from source)
  
St. Philothei of Athens (Source)
  
Most-holy Theotokos, save us!
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

No comments: