Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Final Prayer of St. George before his Martyrdom

Christ is risen! Truly He is risen!
St. George the Great Martyr and Trophy-bearer, in prayer to Christ (source)
  
The Martyr of Christ, George, when he had reached the place of his execution, entreated the guards to give him a short time to himself. This is the gift that the Saint asked of the enemies of his Faith. They fulfilled his request. Then, the Great Martyr gathered himself together for prayer, and lifted up his eyes to Heaven, and prayed from the depth of his heart:

St. George the Great Martyr and Trophybearer (source)
   
"O Lord my God, to Whom I belong from birth, and to Whom I have placed my hopes, You Who gave me boldness and prepared me for this struggle, You Who are my sweet hope, the unerring promise, the unalterable eros of sacred souls, You Who look down with care upon the intentions of our hearts and fulfill our requests, and to Whom we address our requests in prayer, I ask of You: help me to complete this struggle well, which I have taken on in confession of Your name, and receive my soul, and having preserved my from the evil spirits, do number me with those who have pleased You throughout the ages. Forgive, O Master, the people who out of ignorance have worked this grave things against me, and make them worthy to truly come to know You, for You are blessed unto the ages of ages."
(source)
  
Sts. George and Demetrios the Great Martyrs (source)
  
Christ is risen from the dead, by death, trampling down upon death, and to those in the tombs, He has granted life!
Truly, the Lord has risen!

No comments: