Friday, June 21, 2019

St. Iakovos of Evia who planted a forest

Photograph of St. Iakovos of Evia before his Monastery of St. David, with the vibrant surrounding forest that he helped plant clearly visible (source)
  
St. Iakovos of Evia said: "When I went to the Monastery, because of the former fires, the mountain around the Monastery was naked and only a few pine trees and olive trees remained from the dires and it was very dry. As I would go on my various errands, I had in my pocket seeds from the cones of pine trees, that I would cast around the whole surrounding area." Thus, slowly, with this prototype care and especially with his prayer, the forest came to life again, little pine trees sprouted and the area around the mountain is covered in green from these fragrant pine trees. "I made a special prayer," St. Iakovos said, "That the forest especially might be protected from fires that occur as a cause of the wrath of the devil, who brings out his weapons in order to destroy the forests."
-from the book, The Monastery of the Venerable David, "A Holy Elder, Blessed Father Iakovos"


(source)
  
St. Iakovos of Evia (source)
  
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

No comments: