Thursday, August 20, 2020

A Prayer of Confession, by Blessed Father Nicholas Pekatoros

An Orthodox Priest and Penitent during Holy Confession (source)
  
A Prayer of Confession,
by the Blessed Father Nicholas Pekatoros, for use by his spiritual children:
“I confess to the Lord my God and before you, Holy Father, all my innumerable sins, which I have committed to the present day and hour, in deed, word and thought. Daily and hourly I commit the sin of ingratitude toward the Lord for his great and innumerable blessings and gracious providence toward me, a sinner. These are my sins: empty, foolish words; criticizing and verbally abusing others; defiance; pride; lack of mercy; envy; vengeful anger; slander against others; inattention; neglect where my salvation is concerned; carelessness; a carefree attitude; rudeness; irritability; despondency; returning evil for evil; hardness of heart; disobedience; complaining; self-righteousness; contradictoriness; willfulness; conduct that is blameworthy or disgraceful; speaking evil; lying; excessive laughter; yielding to temptation; love of self; ambition; gluttony; drunkenness; vanity; laziness; thinking impure thoughts; heaping up worldly goods; lusting after others; missing Divine Liturgy and other church services because of laziness and carelessness; wandering of mind during prayer in church and at home; sins of deed; sins of word; sins of thought; and sins of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch and my other senses, both physical and spiritual. I repent of all my sins and I ask forgiveness. (State here other sins that may be on one’s soul.) I also repent and ask forgiveness for sins I did not confess because of their multitude or because of my forgetfulness. Forgive and release me, Holy Father, and give me your blessing to partake of Christ’s Holy and Life-Giving Mysteries, to the renunciation of sin and the receiving of Life Eternal. Amen.
(source)
  
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

No comments: