Sunday, April 12, 2015

Elder Sophrony on the Light of the Resurrection

Christ is risen! Truly He is risen!
The Resurrection of Christ (source)
  
We offer an astonishing witness and retelling by Elder Sophrony [Sakharov (+1993)], who relates a resurrectional experience of God, which the holy one confesses, he experienced in the [Monastery] of his repentance with his whole being:

"And on Great Saturday (likely 1924), the [Uncreated] Light visited me after Holy Communion, and I sensed it as a touch of divine eternity with my spirit. Gladsome, full of peace and love, the Light remained with me for three days. It dissolved the darkness of nothingness, which stood before me.

"I was resurrected, and within me, together with me, the whole world was resurrected. The words of St. John Chrysostom at the end of the service of Pascha I heard with astonishing power: 'Christ is risen, and there is not one dead left in the tomb.' Depressed by the sight of general death, at that instant I experienced: In reality, my soul was resurrected, and I don't see any dead men anymore...If God is like this, I must soon abandon everything and seek only union with Him."

"The descent of this (Light) to us is nothing other than the revelation of God to man: the revelation of heavenly mysteries. Without this light, the earth would remain without true knowledge of God. Based on my personal experience, I returned to myself to name that Light the Light of the Resurrection. With the coming of that Light, the spirit of man comes to the plane where there is no death. The radiance from this Light grants man the experience of the Resurrection as a foretaste of the blessedness to come."

"Christ, after His Resurrection, appeared exclusively to those who were able to understand His already deified and enlightened flesh, which remained invisible to others."

"Without faith, however, (in the Resurrection) every trial becomes absurd:  void of meaning...We struggle for the Resurrection, both of the individual and of every other fellow man."

The Resurrection of Christ is the "greatest event of the created world."

(amateur translation of text from source)
  
Christ is risen from the dead, by dead, trampling down upon death, and to those in the tombs, He has granted life! Truly the Lord is risen!

No comments: